[ntp:questions] Re: use of peer/server in ntp.conf

David Magda dmagda+trace030823 at ee.ryerson.ca
Thu Sep 4 21:10:09 UTC 2003

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> I do wish someone would give a straight answer - there are times
> when "read the documentation" isn't a particularly helpful reply!
> If I knew I would tell you, but I am as interested in the answer as
> you are....

It is a valid reply because the documentation is there to provide the
answers. If you says, "I looked at the docs and couldn't find the
answer", or "I looked and didn't understand" that's one thing. To not
bother looking (which many people (not necessarilly you) do) is lazy.

>From ntp.conf(5) on my FreeBSD system:

[...]
     peer    For type s addresses (only), this command mobilizes a
             persistent symmetric-active mode association with the
             specified remote peer.  In this mode the local clock can
             be synchronized to the remote peer or the remote peer
             can be synchronized to the local clock.  This is useful
             in a network of servers where, depending on various
             failure scenarios, either the local or remote peer may
             be the better source of time.  This command should NOT
             be used for type b, m or r addresses.
[...]

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/