[ntp:questions] Re: announce: PPSkit-2.1.2 for Linux 2.4.21

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Fri Sep 5 06:50:29 UTC 2003

David Schwartz wrote:
> "Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:bj5hpv$m0a$2 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...
>

>>TSC is mostly useless on SMP machines unfortunatly, unless you can pin
>>your process, including all PPS interrupt handlers, to a single CPU.
>

>     Or if you can sync the TSCs, like Linux does.

Only possible on machines where all cpus are the same speed, i.e. same
multiplier (but that's not much of a problem, right?). However, I've
been told (but without any satisfactory explanation) in comp.arch that
it's effectively impossible to keep them really synchronized.

I guess I'll have to do some /usr/src spelunking!

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>