[ntp:questions] Re: handling of falsetickers with dumb NTP clients

Roger roger.neumann at web.de
Fri Sep 5 07:45:13 UTC 2003

stenn at maccarony.ntp.org (Harlan Stenn) wrote in message news:<bj8ktu$gjt$1 at dewey.udel.edu>...
> The "new ntp server equipment" can be most any ancient box that has
> no other use, or it can be any existing *ix box that has a few spare cycles.

The additional NTP servers could be new Sun servers running Solaris 8
(NTPv4) and mostly dedicated to NTP service, maybe running DNS in
addition.

> And if you clients are so dumb they can't decide if an upstream is a
> falseticker I think you are out of luck.  In that case, even having 3
> servers for them to talk to (so if one fails it is a 2-1 vote for sanity)
> will not help you.
>
> Any chance you could upgrade this dumb client software?

For most clients it is not possible to upgrade NTP software, because
these
clients are tailor-made telecom and datacom products with tailor-made
hardware/software.

Roger