[ntp:questions] Re: announce: PPSkit-2.1.2 for Linux 2.4.21

Fri Sep 5 11:20:16 UTC 2003

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

> Ulrich,
>
> At the risk and inherent habit of making trouble, how is it that the
> base Linux kernel does not have the PPSKit function? It seems a real
> lose to adapt to each and every wrinkle in the patriarch's brow. Hmm;
> maybe I should rephrase that.

Dave,

the patch is out and operational for a long time. I offered
integrating the patch several times, but chances are very low if not
ALL architectures are working. I simply don't have the power to get
all architectures working.

Remember, when I decided to implement the nanokernel, I also decided
to upgrade the system clock to nanoseconds. The latter is quite
hardware-dependent. The PPS API and the NTP clock model are
independent however.

In addition, Linux is using some bits theat the old NTP clock model
did not use, but the nanokernel uses now. I had to shuffle some
time_status bits a bit, and when using old binaries that do odd things
to the kernel clock, they may end up with doing something else as
desired. I think the FAQ mentions that in more detail.

Meanwhile there is a "high-resolution timers" project that also has a
new implementation of the system clock, and that will probably make it
into the next Linux release (2.6.x). If it works well, it will
simplyfy the PPSkit patch and improve chances to integrate it chunk by
chunk (NTP clock model upgrade, PPS API, various extensions).

Regards,
Ulrich