[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Performance...

Eric ejensen at spamcop.net
Fri Sep 5 15:42:58 UTC 2003

Actually, NTP isn't designed to average a group of inaccurate,
unsynchronized, clocks to arrive at some interpolated approximation of
the time.  Doing this would create feedback loops, and in any case
drift indefinetly.

You need a reference source, usually an upstream server that is itself
synchronized to an accurate time source.  If the network is truly
isloated, and no local accurate clock is present, to still use NTP you
would need to configure one PC with a "fudged" stratum, and all the
other PCs will look to it as the authoratitive (or best available)
time source.

- Eric