[ntp:questions] Re: use of peer/server in ntp.conf

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Sep 6 20:05:19 UTC 2003

Drk,

The answer depends on several factors as revealed in the specification
rfc-1305. They include whether A or B is synchronized to a stratum-1
source and whether a synchronization loop would form.

As for your earlier question, I have duplicated your configuration with
two stratum-2 peers A and B (symmetric active mode) and both configured
for a stratum-1 server (client/server mode). Both peers are operating as
expected with low dispersion. See ntpq with bridgeport.udel.edu and
baldwin.udel.edu. This test configuration might be withdrawn without
notice.

Dave