[ntp:questions] Re: New to NTP

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Sep 8 17:55:38 UTC 2003

Ian Gibbons wrote in message ...
[...]
>A sample 'recommended' config for my situation would be a great.. Any
>takers?

Recollecting that your situation is a gateway machine to be
synced to your ISP and all others to it, use this on the
gateway:

server ntp.isp.net
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

and this on the clients:

server ntp.local.net

* If you'd like some extra redundancy on the gateway, add two or
three pool.ntp.org servers (and prefer the ISP NTP server [would
this work? I'm not even sure]). Don't do this on the leaf nodes.

* If this doesn't give you drift files, add a line "driftfile
<path>".

* This setup doesn't give you authentication. If you want that,
be prepared to RTFM and try things and check that they work. A lot.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink