[ntp:questions] How to force ntpd to set time first time if clock is withhin +-128ms range

Sarbjit Singh singh at image.dk
Tue Sep 9 12:45:44 UTC 2003

Hi all.

I have notice that ntpd does not step the time, if the clients clock is
within the +- 128 ms range.

If I use the options -qg, then ntpd set -or slew the time, and exist.

Is there some other options, which will force ntpd to set time first time,
and continue normal work afterwards - regardless of the 128ms range?.

My ntp-clients are only on the network for only short time (mainly to
synchronize time). The ntp server is setup in broadcast mode.

What I would like is that those clients are forced a time from ntp server
first time they see a ntp broadcast. The rest of time they are on network
they should do normal ntp clock discipline.

 It works fine, expect if they client are within the +-128 ms range to start
with, and then it takes time for ntp to "adjust the clock".

I have tried with the "tinker" options with "step" and "stepout" parameters
in ntp.conf, but truth is, I don't know what consequent this will have on
the time synchronization.

Thanks

Sarbjit Singh