[ntp:questions] Re: How to force ntpd to set time first time if clock is withhin +-128ms range

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Wed Sep 10 13:26:23 UTC 2003

Sarbjit Singh wrote:
> So I still looking for how to force ntpd to reset time first time it start,
> and continuing to discipline the clock afterwards. That would achieve our
> goal to having a precision of +-1 ms after short time.

Recompile ntpd with a different reset limit, say 2-10 ms.

If it is so important to get within a couple of ms almost immediately,
you'll have to accept a lot more steps until the algorithm settles down.

OTOH, as soon as you do drop out of the capture range, you will get a
step back. I.e. your clock will be a lot less stable, but the maximum
absolute error would probably be lower.

It would probably be good to also run with much lower poll intervals if
you want to do this, and you'll have to redo the stability calculations.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>