[ntp:questions] Re: NMEA driver broken? clk_fault - Please Help

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Thu Sep 11 01:01:23 UTC 2003

In article <bjocq4$jrp$1 at news.ucar.edu>,
Frank Hage  <fhage at oberon.rap.ucar.edu> wrote:
>I've got two off-the-network systems at Denver International
>Airport collecting data from weather sensors which need to stay time
>syncronized. I'm using the Garmin GPS 16 units and ntpd 4.1.2 NTPD works
>only intermittently. The GPS seems to put out correct PGRMC messages,
>consistantly.

First, 4.2.0 will be out Real Soon Now.  I recommend you start using it
ASAP (use bk and get ntp-dev if possible).

>I posted a plea for help along with  detailed debug logs to the new group
>a few days ago but have received no replies. Can someone please point me
>to information on how to debug this problem. I'm down to reading source
>code, looking for hints.

I think I saw somebody post a reply to this.  I could be confused.

It would be nice if people who were familiar with different refclocks
posted the configuration hints at twiki.ntp.org.

I don't care if they are already in Dave's docs or if they make it to
the FAQ.  If those folks want this info there they can take care of it.

>The /var/log/ntpd looks like:
>
>10 Sep 17:29:02 ntpd[9099]: clock GPS_NMEA(0) event 'clk_fault' (0x03)
>10 Sep 17:29:20 ntpd[9099]: clock GPS_NMEA(0) event 'clk_fault' (0x03)
>10 Sep 17:29:35 ntpd[9099]: clock GPS_NMEA(0) event 'clk_fault' (0x03)

You might try running ntpd -d to get better debug messages.

>> ntpq -p
>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
> GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l    -   16    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00

This basically means that ntpd has not sync'd to your refclock.