[ntp:questions] Re: NMEA driver broken? clk_fault - Please Help

Allen McIntosh mcintosh at mc-pc.research.telcordia.com
Thu Sep 11 02:16:16 UTC 2003

In article <bjocq4$jrp$1 at news.ucar.edu>,
Frank Hage  <fhage at oberon.rap.ucar.edu> wrote:
>I've got two off-the-network systems at Denver International
>Airport collecting data from weather sensors which need to stay time
>syncronized. I'm using the Garmin GPS 16 units and ntpd 4.1.2 NTPD works
>only intermittently. The GPS seems to put out correct PGRMC messages,
>consistantly.
>
>I posted a plea for help along with  detailed debug logs to the new group
>a few days ago but have received no replies. Can someone please point me
>to information on how to debug this problem. I'm down to reading source
>code, looking for hints.

John Hay replied to your post.  If your ISP doesn't have it, it is up
on groups.google.com.  I just checked.  The URL in Steven's message
(also on google) is a good one.

If you need more information, it's a farly easy change to refclock_nmea.c
to have it print out the offending message.  Look in nmea_receive().

Other things you can do:
- Install Garmin's software on a portable, and use it to turn off
unnecessary messages.
- Watch the messages go by for a while, and see if the receiver ever
syncs up.

After doing the above, I moved my GPS 35 a little lower and away from the
storm window frame that was confusing it, and it was much happier.