[ntp:questions] Re: adsl link

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at computer.org
Tue Sep 16 14:18:25 UTC 2003

Hans Klein wrote:
> > If you were to run the above script from your dhcp client, or however
> > else you detect that your IP address has changed, then I think that
> this
> > will solve your problem to a large extent.
> >

> Does the script do the same as I restart ntpd? Till now I restart my
> running ntpd, when the IP had changed.

The script does less than what restarting ntpd would do, but that is
good. Restarting ntpd means that during the time that ntpd shuts down,
restarts and regains synchronisation with the local clock, it does not
serve time to clients. What my script does is keep ntpd running, but
refresh its run-time configuration. This means that there is no interval
during which ntpd ceases to serve time to clients.

There are obviously a few caveats:

- my script is only capable of refreshing the very simplest of server
and peer configurations (i.e. no iburst & what have you)

- any fudge factors are also not restored, but then I can't see why
something other than a refclock would need fudging

- you may need to tweak it to get it to run with your ntpd version and
OS distribution (in terms of file locations, detailed syntax of the
passwd command in ntpdc etc.). I therefore recommend that you first run
the script (which makes no modifications itself whatsoever) and examine
its output, before trusting it to order ntpdc around.

Cheers, Jan