[ntp:questions] Re: adsl link

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Sep 16 17:42:47 UTC 2003

Jan,

If a server is restarted using iburst mode, it normally takes only ten
seconds to come back to life, but clients generally take up to several
minutes or even hours to notice. Even if they do notice and conclude the
server is dead, in the normal course of events they continue to provide
nominal correct time to dependent applications. Only in the case where
precision kernel modifications are in use and the applications call the
ntp_gettime() system call is the unsynchronized condition even available
to applications.

Dave