[ntp:questions] Re: NTP with MD5 client

Roy roy at suespammers.org
Wed Sep 17 00:25:16 UTC 2003

David Magda <dmagda+trace030823 at ee.ryerson.ca> wrote in message news:<86oexn8318.fsf at number6.magda.ca>...
> roy at suespammers.org (Roy) writes:
>
> > I can't speak for Chris, but I recommended that my company buy a
> > commercial NTP server.  Well, actually we bought two of them.
> [...]
>
> Just curious: which product did you go with, and why?

We bought the Praecis Gntp server from EndRun Technologies and the
TymServe 2100 from Symmetricom.  We chose servers from two different
vendors.  These servers appear to use significantly different
engineering.  We hope this diversity will provide additional
protection against bugs like the TrueTime rollover anomaly.  We had no
concerns about getting access to the roof, so that was where we wanted
to mount the GPS antennas.

Most of the units we investigated seemed capable and quite good.  For
our data center, the units had to be rack mounted.  We wanted a PPS
output signal and 100BaseT network connections.  Cost was a factor,
but not the most significant one.  More subjective criteria were the
aparant ease of installation, configuration and how much attention
they would need when in service.  Some promising units were ruled out
simply because we couldn't get information back from the sales group
in a timely manner.  Hope this helps.

Have a great time,

roy
--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California.  Please do
not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to