[ntp:questions] Any recommendations for a rack-mount NTP appliance?

Wayne Myles ntp-query at drbyte.com.au
Thu Sep 18 14:53:08 UTC 2003

My client is considering bolstering existing stratum-1 internet servers with
GPS-based appliances.  Since two of the likely sites are a long flight away, I
think it would be better to have a turnkey appliance rather than a gadget
hanging off the serial port of a PC which would require continued OS
maintenance.

Unless there's been a change I'm not aware of, the local CDMA network does not
offer a time service, so it's GPS or nothing AFAIK.

A device that is simple, reliable, and low-maintenance would be ideal.
Preferably one that has an Australian distributor and/or support channel.

I'm aware of a few brands already, and have fired off some enquiries, but would
be interested to hear from any (dis)satisfied customers, and especially
customers in Australia using such appliances.

Initial indications are that a serial-port device (eg Trimble) will be around
$US1000 ($AUS1700) and that a basic rack-mount device will be about 2.5x that.

Suggestions, recommendations, or warnings will all be gratefully accepted.

Please follow-up to the group, or if you must, reply directly.

[Spammers note: this address is only a temporary alias and the entire site is
aggressively protected by Spam countermeasures - don't waste your time or mine!
Sigh!  I remember when the Internet was such a friendly place...]

Thanks,
Wayne