[ntp:questions] Re: Any recommendations for a rack-mount NTP appliance?

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Sep 18 17:49:41 UTC 2003

Wayne Myles wrote:
> My client is considering bolstering existing stratum-1 internet servers with
> GPS-based appliances.  Since two of the likely sites are a long flight away, I
> think it would be better to have a turnkey appliance rather than a gadget
> hanging off the serial port of a PC which would require continued OS
> maintenance.
>
> Unless there's been a change I'm not aware of, the local CDMA network does not
> offer a time service, so it's GPS or nothing AFAIK.
>
> A device that is simple, reliable, and low-maintenance would be ideal.
> Preferably one that has an Australian distributor and/or support channel.
>
> I'm aware of a few brands already, and have fired off some enquiries, but would
> be interested to hear from any (dis)satisfied customers, and especially
> customers in Australia using such appliances.
>
> Initial indications are that a serial-port device (eg Trimble) will be around
> $US1000 ($AUS1700) and that a basic rack-mount device will be about 2.5x that.

I'd either buy a TrueTime (now Symmmetricom?) NTS-200, or a simple OEM
Garmin 25 or similar device.

The first does cost a bit, but is truly "fire&forget", while the second
is nearly free (except for the time & cost of an old Pentium-133 or
similar running FreeBSD or Linux.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>