[ntp:questions] Re: Any recommendations for a rack-mount NTP appliance?

Wayne Myles ntp-query at drbyte.com.au
Fri Sep 19 00:14:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:36:59 -0400, Eric <ejensen at spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:53:08 +1000, Wayne Myles
><ntp-query at drbyte.com.au> wrote for the entire planet to see:
>>My client is considering bolstering existing stratum-1 internet servers with
>>GPS-based appliances.  [...]

>>Unless there's been a change I'm not aware of, the local CDMA network does not
>>offer a time service, so it's GPS or nothing AFAIK.

>Not so.  Here is a link to a CDMA-based 1U NTP appliance like you
>want.  I'm not sure about the $$$.  We use the serial-attached
>version.  http://www.endruntechnologies.com/tempus-ntp-server.htm

Hi Eric,
    I contacted Endrun about their Praecis and Tempus GPS products, but as the
original posting said - the last time I checked the local CDMA network does NOT
offer a time service, so a CDMA-based NTP server would probably be an expensive
paperweight...  Anyone know for sure if Telstra CDMA does or does not offer this
service now?

    Both of these GPS products look like they'll do the job, but the $$$, as you
say, is one of the big questions.  I take it you're happy with the serial device
you're using?  The Endrun is one of a very few I've seen that (they say) is
specifically designed to handle intermittent "bird" visibility - single-sat,
intermittent lock-on.

>- Eric

Oh - and a big "up-yours" to the *&^%*&-wit who has been spoofing this address
to circulate virii - I've disabled it.

- W