[ntp:questions] [pool.ntp.org] 87 servers so far/webserver configuration / some other small things

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Sep 24 00:33:57 UTC 2003

Brad,

Just to put a finer point on it, IP multicast and videoconferencing
first turned up way before the MBONE on DARTnet, the predecessor of
CAIRN.

We all had ofice cameras and microphones normally left open so each of
us could see/hear what each of the others was doing all the time. I
thought the 24/7 video an invasion of privacy, so left my camera then
and now pointed out my office window watching the pedestrian traffic on
the Mall. Much of the time we were out of the office at some meeting
someplace or other away from the cameras and microphones. It was an
interesting social experiment from which I learned the audio and
whiteboard are far more valuable than the video and the real value of a
face to face meeting is floor management by eyeball contact. You mostly
lose that in videoconferencing.

Brad Knowles wrote:
[Context deleted by fascist news processor]