[ntp:questions] Re: See the link

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Wed Sep 24 09:16:12 UTC 2003

David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> http://www.spectracomcorp.com/internettimeservers.html

> It's a rather interesting reflection of modern times that terrorists can
> be a sales vehicle. I've known the guys at Spectracom for over twenty
> years. They used to think NTP was a drag on sales; now it's a feature.

"Buy our clocks or the terrorists will have won!"

It seems they think corporate lying is accepted:

"By its very nature the Internet is open and not secure which can lead to
hacker spoofing of NTP time packets, spoofing your system to accept
inaccurate time"

My reading of the explanation of NTP internals here suggests otherwise.

                                           Koos

Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos at cs.uu.nl
+31-30-2534104              PGP keyid 0x27513781
http://idefix.net/~koos/            Use PGP when possible!
Visit my site about books with reviews http://www.virtualbookcase.com/