[ntp:questions] Re: Locking memory in ntp

Bohdan Tashchuk tashchuk at easystreet.com
Sun Sep 28 03:05:31 UTC 2003

Terje Mathisen wrote:

> My S-2 servers also use burst mode against its primary inhouse S-1
> references, this handles the case where an ARP table entry have aged
> out, causing the first poll in a burst series to take significantly
> longer than the rest.

I have posted the following in this newsgroup before. It works
quite well to solve ARP timeout problems in FreeBSD 4.8.

I run a cron job every 15 minutes. All it does is:

     arp -d 123.123.123.123            (your IP address)
     ping -n -c 1 -q 123.123.123.001   (ping your gateway or similar)

I found that it was necessary to use the -d switch to actually delete
the route. Otherwise it would expire every 20 minutes whether or not
there was any traffic on the interface.

With this technique the ARP entry NEVER expires, because it is deleted
before it can. This allows much more predictable polls, since the first
isn't delayed by an ARP request.