[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Stratum 16?

Matt Taylor para at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 08:09:57 UTC 2003

"Hans Klein" <newsartikel at web.de> wrote in message
news:bl8o43$9gavc$1 at ID-206916.news.uni-berlin.de...
> "Matt Taylor" <para at tampabay.rr.com> schrieb
> >
> > I can't figure out why I would be rejected from an open stratum 2
> server,
> > though.
> >

> Hey,
>
> whats happened if you try another server?
>
> Hans

I have tried 4 different open stratum 2 servers and obtain the same response
from each. In all cases ntpdc shows packets being sent and received, but
ntpd does not synchronize to any of them.

I can synchronize just fine to these servers from a Windows machine NAT
through the other machine, so I do not think this is a networking issue.

ntpq> as
ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
  1 50292  8000   yes   yes  none    reject
  2 50293  8000   yes   yes  none    reject
  3 50294  8000   yes   yes  none    reject
  4 50295  8000   yes   yes  none    reject

I think the "reject" bit there is probably the key, but I'm lost as to what
would cause my client to be rejected.

The docs offer this advice:

"If both the sent and received counters do increment, but the reach values
in the pe billboard with ntpq continues to show zero, received packets are
probably being discarded for some reason. If this is the case, the cause
should be evident from the flash variable as discussed above and on the ntpq
page. It could be that the server has disabled access for the client
address, in which case the refid field in the ntpq pe billboard will show a
kiss code. See earlier on this page for a list of kiss codes and their
meaning."

I get no kiss code, and the flash variable is 00.

-Matt