[ntp:questions] Re: Can you test my server please.

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 20:42:07 UTC 2004

In article <3a2a0492.0411301449.faa83a9 at posting.google.com>,
mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> pool if it requires client authentication. In any case the NTP
> authentication is NOT a function of the IP addresses. The MAC
> section of the NTP packet is what is used to transfer authentication
> information.

It can't be true that the Media Access Control part of the packet is
used in the authentication as that would be destroyed by the first
IP router encountered.  Authentication wouldn't be an internet
protocol.

I think you have failed to realise that there is another meaning of
MAC, Message Authentication Code, a sort of sophisticated check sum.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that inclusion of the IP address in the
calculation of the Message Authentication Code is why people have
so many problems with dynamic IP addresses.