[ntp:questions] Re: NTP seems unsuitable for this application... what do you think?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Dec 2 15:13:24 UTC 2004

At 9:10 AM -0500 2004-12-02, John Seal wrote:

>>  restart ntpd with -g which will resync.
>
>  We are using Sun's xntpd, which doesn't document a -g switch.

	Ouch.  Using Sun's xntpd is ... suboptimal.  You should be able
to make it work, but there have been a lot of improvements in the
years since.  You should ask Sun to see if you can get them to supply
you a more modern version of ntpd, or see if there is some other way
you can get it.

	I know that you're on an isolated network, and there may be
problems importing code from unclassified/untrusted sources, but I
would recommend that you at least check into this.

	Otherwise, you should be able to make xntpd work, but there are
likely to be more work-around involved than would otherwise be
necessary, and there may be some minor problems that you simply have
to live with.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755