[ntp:questions] warning trying to compile from source

david dtrobert at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 7 17:00:18 UTC 2004

Hi,
I recently posted an issue where I could not get ntpd 4.2.0 to run on
my Freebsd 5.3 system. It had worked for years from 4.X through 5.2.1
but decided to stop. I saw in the messages,
bind() fd 5, family 2, port 123, addr 0.0.0.0, in_classd=0 flags=8
fails: Address already in use

although 1) my ntp.conf has never changed all of these years and 2)
there is no other ntp (or process for that matter) tying up the ntpd
port.

Anyway, I decided to try and compile from source ntp 4.2.0. My
'./configure' ran ok but Makefile gives

"Makefile", line 675: warning: invalid syntax: .warning:
make: don't know how to make .warning. Stop

I then downloaded ntp 4.1.2 and have a similar error

"Makefile", line 659: warning: invalid syntax: .warning:
make: don't know how to make .warning. Stop

any ideas?
thanks