[ntp:questions] Re: IPv4 Multicast working ... IPv6 link-local multicast working ... IPv6 site-local multicast not working ...

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Sat Dec 11 20:56:09 UTC 2004

John Spence, CCSI, CCNA, CISSP wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I'm using  "ntp-dev-4.2.0a-20041130.tar.gz".
>
> IPv4 multicast works for me, and IPv6 link-local multicast works
> (ff02::101), but not site-local multicast (ff05::101) - the most
useful
> multicast destination.  I'm not a programmer, but I've got good v6
know-how
> and an excellent test bed, and I'd like to help make it work.  What
can I
> do?

John,

Thanks for this. I've been trying to fix the site-local multicast
problem and I hadn't checked the link-local multicast. I'll go ahead
and check that out. If that is working to everyone's satisfaction
then the problem is localized to a small area of the code that
I will be looking into.

What O/S are you using?

If you want to help can you send me ntpd debug output of
link-local (ff02::101) multicast client and site-local multicast
(ff02::101) multicast client. Use ntpd -D3 -l stdout > ntpdlogfile
for each separate run. That way we can tell what each is doing
differently. Send the outputs directly to me, don't post them as
they are rather verbose and most people won't be interested.
Don't bother with tcpdump for this, I konw the packets are
arriving.

Thanks,

Danny