[ntp:questions] Re: why is it so important that your servers all have the same notion of time?

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Sun Dec 12 17:16:23 UTC 2004

> > The subject says it all.
> > Where I work (an academic hospital in the netherlands), we have 4
> > timeservers.
> > Now I would like to introduce a fith timeserver but that one with a DCF77-
> > receiver connected to it so that we've always a real good notion of time.
> > I would say that is very important but I really can't give any good reasons
> > for that. Very unfortunate.
> > So my question is: why should we?
> There are no disadvantages to having all machines perfectly
> synchronized, and a number of advantages.  There are times when knowing
> the order in which things happened across systems to within a fraction
> of a second is crucial to postmortem debugging, analysis, and security
> auditing.

Ah yes ok, but that's already the situation: all computers overthere are
synced so they have all the same notion of time. But what would be the
advantage of them all also having the same notion of time compared to the
rest of the world?

Folkert van Heusden

|UNIX admin? Then give MultiTail (http://vanheusden.com/multitail/)|
|a try, it brings monitoring logfiles to a different level! See    |
|http://vanheusden.com/multitail/features.html for a feature list. |