[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync problems

Robert Rati Robert.Rati at motorola.com
Wed Dec 15 12:45:01 UTC 2004

> At 3:02 PM -0600 2004-12-14, Robert Rati wrote:
>
>>  Unfortunately, the network topology I must reside within requires two
>>  NTP servers (and only two).
>

>     Then that network topology must change, if you want to have any hope
> of ever synchronizing your time.  See
> <http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers#Section_4.3.3.>.

I know using two servers is a bad topology, but I have no control over
that.  Actually, the topology is use only one NTP server at a time as
the second one is redundant.  In order to achieve failover though, I
have configured the NTP daemon to synchronize against the primary server
with the "prefer" option and left the secondary without the prefer.  All
I can do is push for a change, but in the meantime I must work within
these confines.

Alternately, is there another way to configure NTP such that it will
sync against one server while it is up but if it goes down it will
automatically sync against a secondary server?

Rob