[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync problems

Robert Rati Robert.Rati at motorola.com
Wed Dec 15 18:43:13 UTC 2004

>> Alternately, is there another way to configure NTP such that it will
>> sync against one server while it is up but if it goes down it will
>> automatically sync against a secondary server?
>

> Use the 'prefer' keyword on the clients, plus configure the second
> server to have a stratum at least two levels below the primary (prefer)
> server.

That is what I've done, except for the stratum part.  The problem comes
in that the secondary server is not as accurate as the primary, and if
they're far enough apart NTP may not sync to either (since it doesn't
know which is right).  This is what spurred my original question which
was, shouldn't NTP sync to the server(s) with the lower stratum
regardless of how different the time is that is being served from higher
stratum servers?

Rob