[ntp:questions] Re: Yet Another Isolated Network Question

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 17 20:16:36 UTC 2004

Bruce Baumgart wrote:

>Richard B. Gilbert wrote in news:2NOdnbAbsKXLpF_cRVn-hg at comcast.com:
>

>>Bruce Baumgart wrote:
>>

>>>I have been following the isolated network configuration discussions
>>>because I am in a very similar situation.
>>>

><SNIP my stuff>
>

>>It should work to the extent that everybody on your local network
>>should be within a second or so of the server
>>
>>The server will drift and everybody should follow it.  If you want a
>>reasonable approximation of the correct time someone will have to
>>adjust your server's clock periodically.
>>

>There is a remote server.  Just making sure that things will behave the
>way I think they will if the connection does go away.
>

>>It's rather like using a limousine to haul garbage but what can you
>>do?
>>

>"Here's the problem.  Here's what you can't do.  Fix it, but don't spend
>any money."
>
>You do what you can, with what you have.

Your local server should follow the remote server.    It the remote
server is not synchronized to an external clock of some sort, someone
will have to correct it manually from time to time.

Your local server will will continue to serve time to your local clients
if your lose the connection to your remote server.  If you lose the
connection for an extended period, you will probably need to correct the
time on your local server periodically.  To make your local server serve
time while unsynchronized, include the following in your ntp.conf file:

#
# Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
# It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
#
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
#

In your particular case setting the local clock to stratum ten may not
be necessary but it will do no harm and is good practice.  The high
stratum should convince just about anybody that it's not a desirable
clock to synchronize with if there is any other choice.