[ntp:questions] refclock WWV on freeBSD 5.3

david.margrave at gmail.com david.margrave at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 08:05:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

A while back I set up WWV on a linux box, and decided to give it a try
on free BSD next.  I have just installed freeBSD 5.3 on x86 hardware,
and built the 'port' package for ntp.  I got this in the logs:

Dec 19 17:00:47 scooby ntpd[25416]: mlockall(): Resource temporarily
unavailable
Dec 19 17:00:47 scooby ntpd[25416]: internal error: refclockio
structure not found
Dec 19 17:00:48 scooby kernel: pid 25416 (ntpd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)

I found another post on the mlockall and changed that in my config.h.

It appears that the WWV refclock is being built (there is a .o module
for it in the work dir, and nm on the ntpd binary shows symbols like
wwv_epoch defined).   I looked at the code and this 'refclockio
structure not found' seems to happen when it walks through a linked
list of refclockio structs searching for the matching one, and can't
find it.

I went ahead and added this to my top-level port Makefile:
CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-WWV

and rebuilt, and still got the same syslog entries.   So I'm basically
stuck at this point.  Here are the relevant bits of my ntp.conf

server  127.127.36.0
fudge 127.127.36.0 time1 0.005200 time2 0.014657 flag2 1 flag3 1 flag4
1