[ntp:questions] Re: minpoll and maxpoll

David J Taylor david-taylor at invalid.com
Mon Dec 20 10:46:56 UTC 2004

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
[]
> Now, 11 hours after restart, the actual values for poll in
>
>   ntpq -p
>
> show no value higher than 256.
[]

Maxpoll = 8 means 2^8 seconds = 256 seconds, so you're getting what you
would expect.  There is a situation where the non-local servers need to be
polled as often as the local servers, and it has been described here
before.

> As I do not want to produce to much traffic on public servers, shall I
> specify something like
>
>   minpoll 8 maxpoll 10
>
> for them?

It may make no difference.  I would suggest not specifying these values at
all where you have a mixture of local and public servers.

Cheers,
David