[ntp:questions] Re: minpoll and maxpoll

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 13:11:09 UTC 2004

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

> Yesterday I specified
>
>   minpoll 6 maxpoll 8
>
> for my local references, but no explicit values for the remote, public
> timeservers in /etc/ntp.conf.
>
> Now, 11 hours after restart, the actual values for poll in
>
>   ntpq -p
>
> show no value higher than 256.
>
> As I remember poll went very fast to 1024 without any minpoll or
> maxpoll in the config.
>
> As I do not want to produce to much traffic on public servers, shall I
> specify something like
>
>   minpoll 8 maxpoll 10
>
> for them?
>
> Helmut Wollmersdorfer

You should not specify either minpoll or maxpoll without very good
reason!  Minpoll defaults to 6 and maxpoll to 10 giving a range from 64
seconds to 1024 seconds.  The daemon will adjust the polling interval
within this range as needed.  The longer polling intervals are needed to
let the code "fine tune" your clock.