[ntp:questions] Re: minpoll and maxpoll

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 21:56:29 UTC 2004

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>> You should not specify either minpoll or maxpoll without very good
>> reason!  Minpoll defaults to 6 and maxpoll to 10 giving a range from
>> 64 seconds to 1024 seconds.  The daemon will adjust the polling
>> interval within this range as needed.  The longer polling intervals
>> are needed to let the code "fine tune" your clock.
>

> Thanks. Now I understand, that shorter is not better.
>
> Maybe using minpoll and maxpoll was the reason for large offset drifts
> after restart up to 90 ms, than back into opposite direction around
> -50 ms? Never watched this before after a /etc/init.d/ntp-server restart.
>
> Helmut Wollmersdorfer

Do you define a driftfile in your ntp.conf?   You need one to give your
local clock a reasonable starting value for frequency correction.  If
you are restarting after having powered down for long enough to make a
significant change in system temperature, you may need several hours
before your clock stabilizes.