[ntp:questions] Re: minpoll and maxpoll

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Mon Dec 20 22:44:19 UTC 2004

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> Do you define a driftfile in your ntp.conf?

This line should be enough
   driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
I think.

> If
> you are restarting after having powered down for long enough to make a
> significant change in system temperature, you may need several hours
> before your clock stabilizes.

In this case it was a hot restart (no cold boot, no reboot) of ntp only
on a server running 7/24. I only added minpoll maxpoll for local
references in ntp.conf and did "ntp-server restart" on the console. All
temperatures are very stable within +/- 2°C.

Normally the maximum offsets of the radioclocks after restart are around
10ms, maybe 25ms after cold boot. They stabilize to 3-5ms after 1 hour,
and 0.5-1.5 after several hours. But offsets of 90ms I saw the first time.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer