[ntp:questions] Is it possible to run NTP daemon on loopback interface ?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 20:27:56 UTC 2004

In article <mailman.95.1103620101.54146.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
Aravind babu <aravindforn at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

[ Broken thread - no References (In-Reply-To on mail interface)  header -
  please fix your user agent ]

>           My requirement is to run ntpd on loopback interface.How to
**           achieve that.I checked the code and i tried by adding some
**           bind calls in code.But i am unable to run ntpd on loopback.

Could you please find someone that you can talk to locally, who
has a strong understanding of how IP works, and discuss
exactly what you are trying to do in IP routing terms.   My expectation
is that they will confirm that what you are trying to do to solve
your problem is fundamentally impossible unless the server is the same
machine as the client.  If, however, after discussion, they say it is
possible, they may be able to explain in terms that don't look as though
you are trying to do something silly, so that we can start attacking
the real problem.

The basic problem is that if you bind to the loopback interface, even
if you manage to route the NTP queries out to the server, the server will
try to reply to the loopback interface address, which will be its own
address, so the reply will never leave the server.