[ntp:questions] Is it possible to run NTP daemon on loopback interface ?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 12:39:23 UTC 2004

Aravind babu wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>         I have ntp-4.1.0 code.My requirement is to run ntpd( ntp daemon) on loopback interface.I have to sent all ntp related messages with loopback address as source address.How to achieve that ? One way i know is to bind ntpd on loopback address.But i am unable to do this.Can any one  have idea to resolve this one? Anytype of help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Aravind.
>
>mayer at gis.net wrote:
>----- Original Message Follows -----
>

>>Dear Danny,
>>
>>My requirement is to run ntpd on loopback interface.How to
>>achieve that.I checked the code and i tried by adding some bind calls
>>in code.But i am unable to run ntpd on loopback.
>>

>Please explain in detail what you really want to accomplish. This is
>better discussed in the newsgroup rather than by mail. If necessary
>file a bug report.
>
>Danny

> The all-new My Yahoo! – What will yours do?

Please pay attention!!

Nobody understands why you need to use the loopback interface. Nobody
understands how you could believe that the loopback interface could
possibly work with ntp!

This is at least the third time I have seen essentially the same
request. I believe (I didn't check) that all of them came from you.

If you want to use your unsynchronized local clock as a server, doing so
has nothing to do with the loopback interface. Include the following in
your ntp.conf, restart ntpd, and you are done!

#
# Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
# It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
#
server 127.127.1.0 # Local clock, unit 0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Note that 127.127.1.0 is not an IP address! The loopback interface is
127.0.0.1.

If this does not answer your question, please explain in detail what it
is that you want to do and why you believe that it is a useful thing to
do. Your request, as you stated it, makes no sense to anyone here!!!!!!