[ntp:questions] Re: Compilation Problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Thu Dec 23 01:02:51 UTC 2004

In article <mailman.104.1103715128.54146.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
Jonathan Allen  <jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk> wrote:
>'ntp' now appears to be running on this last machine, but the log has
>an entry I don't understand:
>
>   22 Dec 11:14:01 ntpd[30678]: clock LOCAL(1) event 'clk_fault' (0x03)
>
>What does that mean and is it signifcant ?  How soon can I expect the
>times to converge - at the moment the rogue is still a minute and a
>half or so ahead of the server ?

The local refclock driver never sets CEVNT_FAULT, so the only other
place it could be coming from is near line 585 (in ntp-dev) of
ntp_refclock.c, which will set CEVNT_FAULT if LEAP_NOTINSYNC.

If you are following the instructions in:

 http://ntp.isc.org/Support/ConfiguringNTP

and your servers are stable and you have a good drift file, you should
be sync'd in about 15 seconds or so.