[ntp:questions] Re: Rebuttal on OpenNTPD Considered Harmful

Dries Schellekens gwyllion at ulyssis.org
Sat Dec 25 15:28:38 UTC 2004

Dries Schellekens wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Darren Tucker, the maintainer of the portable version of OpenNTPD (and
> also of OpenSSH), has written a response on the issues raised by Brad
> Knowles. It is nicely written (very neutral in style) and is available
> at http://www.advogato.org/person/dtucker/diary.html?start=52
>
> Can anyone tell me where (which features) OpenNTPD does not comply with
> the NTPv3 standard? It does not seem that easy to tell as the RFC is not
> written in the usual RFC2119 style (MUST/MUST NOT/SHOULD/SHOULD NOT/MAY).

A bit sad that no one can give a list of the features/requirement with
OpenNTPD is lacking to comply with the NTPv3 standard. I think such list
can only help the further development of OpenNTPD.

The issues on the list of Brad Knowles are either outdated (stratum
stuff, breaking ntptrace (not part of RFC at all), falseticker
protection), either not required in RFC1305 (e.g. authentication,
reference clocks) or not related to the standard at all (the so called
portablity issue and simple (KISS) configuration "issue").

> Henning Brauer, the main author of OpenNTPD, also wrote some comments,
> but in his typical style (rather aggressive and defensive). You can
> somehow describe him as the German equivalance of Theo De Raadt ;-)
> It is available at the bottom of
> http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20041216161833&mode=flat

A better URL:
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20041216161833&pid=46