[ntp:questions] questions on msf (via shm) clock

dave morgan morgad at eclipse.co.uk
Mon Dec 27 20:07:27 UTC 2004

Hi,
  after a couple of false starts (transistor back to front,
resistor connected to wrong pins :-/ ) I have got my MSF refclock
working. This has raised the following questions -

a) will its jitter figure never go below 1?

b) why does the refid for this clock show SHM(0), even though the
lines for it in the ntp.conf file is as follows?

#msf rx on serial port 1
server 127.127.28.0 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.0 stratum 2  time1 0.022  refid MSF

c) what stratum should I declare it? I have left it fudged to 2 for
now as the jitter seems no better than the other stratum 2 servers
I use.

best regards
Dave Morgan

--