[ntp:questions] Upgrading from NTPv3 to NTPv4? Any problems foreseen?

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Fri Dec 31 12:02:04 UTC 2004

Greetings all,

I recently acquired a somewhat old Cobalt RaQ3 server appliance and am
hoping to upgrade the pre-packaged NTPv3 installation with NTP 4.2.0.

Are there any system-independent problems with simply
configure/make/make install-ing the new version over the previously
existing version? Any suggestions in this regard would be most welcome.

Assuming that system-independent problems can be easily overcome, is
anyone on this newsgroup familiar with the NTP setup on Cobalt systems?
Anything I should be aware of? Will upgrading NTP cause issues with the
web-admin "Time" option in the "Services" configuration panel?
Specifically, would one still be able to configure a single NTP server
via the web-admin setup with the new version of NTP, or would the Cobalt
web-admin setup barf if everything isn't precisely how it shipped from
the factory? It's not critical, as I could do all the configuration in
ntp.conf, but it's still a concern.

Again making an assumption, assuming that everything goes properly in
the upgrade, I'd like very much to attach some sort of GPS receiver
(probably the one from gpsclock.com) to the serial port on the RaQ,
configure NTP to utilize both the GPS reference clock as well as other
public NTP servers (so as to achieve accurate and "sane" time), and
provide time service to the general public. Has anyone done this with a
Cobalt system, and if so, is there anything in particular I must look
out for?

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time I've posted here. As
such, I'd like my first message to include a public "thank you" to those
who provide public NTP servers and to those at NIST and other such
bodies that provide the reference time that the rest of us
use/distribute.

Cheers!

--
Pete Stephenson