[ntp:questions] Re: Upgrading from NTPv3 to NTPv4? Any problems foreseen?

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Fri Dec 31 16:12:54 UTC 2004

In article <pete+usenet-7B4F57.04020431122004 at typhoon.sonic.net>,
	Pete Stephenson <pete+usenet at heypete.com> writes:

> I recently acquired a somewhat old Cobalt RaQ3 server appliance and am
> hoping to upgrade the pre-packaged NTPv3 installation with NTP 4.2.0.
>
> Are there any system-independent problems with simply
> configure/make/make install-ing the new version over the previously
> existing version? Any suggestions in this regard would be most welcome.
>
> Assuming that system-independent problems can be easily overcome...

> Again making an assumption, assuming that everything goes properly in
> the upgrade...

That's a lot of assuming.  While it's true that ntpd 3 (which was,
for reasons unknown, shipped with BSD 4.2 and therefore derivatives,
as "xntpd") is ancient and not supported here, you should know that
there are many things that can go wrong, and that there are known
problems with ntpd 4.2.0 that may or may not matter to you.  I'd
particularly recommend that you install ntpd 4.2.0 (or a more recent
snapshot) to its default location of "/usr/local", adjust your startup
scripts, and see how it goes.

One thing you're likely to run into is that upgrading the daemon
is only part of it -- the kernel discipline is still going to be
"version 3".  NetBSD has that issue.  While some setups do really
well in spite of that, other's have "issues", so I just wanted to
caution you against overwriting your system-supplied binaries, in
case you have problems and need to verify that your hardware and
servers are still good.

--
Frederick