[ntp:questions] Re: Upgrading from NTPv3 to NTPv4? Any problems foreseen?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 31 19:26:34 UTC 2004

Pete Stephenson wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I recently acquired a somewhat old Cobalt RaQ3 server appliance and am
>hoping to upgrade the pre-packaged NTPv3 installation with NTP 4.2.0.
>
>Are there any system-independent problems with simply
>configure/make/make install-ing the new version over the previously
>existing version? Any suggestions in this regard would be most welcome.
>
>Assuming that system-independent problems can be easily overcome, is
>anyone on this newsgroup familiar with the NTP setup on Cobalt systems?
>Anything I should be aware of? Will upgrading NTP cause issues with the
>web-admin "Time" option in the "Services" configuration panel?
>Specifically, would one still be able to configure a single NTP server
>via the web-admin setup with the new version of NTP, or would the Cobalt
>web-admin setup barf if everything isn't precisely how it shipped from
>the factory? It's not critical, as I could do all the configuration in
>ntp.conf, but it's still a concern.
>
>Again making an assumption, assuming that everything goes properly in
>the upgrade, I'd like very much to attach some sort of GPS receiver
>(probably the one from gpsclock.com) to the serial port on the RaQ,
>configure NTP to utilize both the GPS reference clock as well as other
>public NTP servers (so as to achieve accurate and "sane" time), and
>provide time service to the general public. Has anyone done this with a
>Cobalt system, and if so, is there anything in particular I must look
>out for?
>
>To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time I've posted here. As
>such, I'd like my first message to include a public "thank you" to those
>who provide public NTP servers and to those at NIST and other such
>bodies that provide the reference time that the rest of us
>use/distribute.
>
>Cheers!

Welcome to the club Pete!

I assume the "Cobalt" server you are talking about is a Sun running some
version of Solaris.

If you want to use a GPS receiver with NTP 4.2.0, you may need to get a
more recent version of the code than what I downloaded Jan 4, 2004.
There have been a number of fixes since then, one of which corrected
errors in the Motorola Oncore driver that prevented it from building
properly under Solaris 8.  Of course, if you don't get a Motorola
Oncore, that probably will not affect you.

I'm not familiar with the Cobalt and its software but I suspect that if
you put the executables in the same directories, using the same file
names, that it should work as it did before.  You should be aware that
the semantics of the restrict statement changed between 4.1 and 4.2.;
one of the flags, I believe it's "notrust" has a different meaning.

Read the docs and you should be able to "muddle through" the same as the
rest of us.  If you have questions, somebody around here probably has
answers.