[ntp:questions] Re: NTP as client only

Jonathan jonathanNOFISH at sprintmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:25:07 UTC 2004

"Gopal" <k_gopalakrishnan at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f6b5173d.0401281046.1c6dec93 at posting.google.com...
> I do not want my NTP to provide the time to other ntp client.  I want
> my ntp to act only as the client, that is it should only sync with
> other time source and it should not act as a time source.  I do not
> want NTP to listen for other NTP requests.  I do not want my NTP to
> keep responding to other ntp requests.
>
> Gopal

This is easy.  Just run "ntpdate" out of cron.  I use something like
"ntpdate -Bs <server1_IP> <server2_IP> <server3_IP>" but you should consult
the ntpdate manpage to see if these parameters work for you.

Obviously, this does not give you the accuracy of running ntpd as a daemon;
your system clock will drift by an amount that most people in this newsgroup
would find unnacceptable.  :-)   But this does prevent having a daemon
listening on 123/UDP, so if you're in a security-conscious environment, this
does work.  You can adjust the frequency of the updates in cron, if need be.
Try this, and if this doesn't give you the accuracy you need, you will have
to run ntpd in daemon mode (and implement the access controls other posters
identified previously).

good luck,
Jonathan