[ntp:questions] Syslog Messages

neil.whitehead5 at btinternet.com neil.whitehead5 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 3 00:21:09 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on ntp - so go easy on me please.

I'm looking for more detailed information on what the messages in the syslog
mean.

I've recently downloaded the ntp distribution 4.2 for the NT platform. Have
installed it and setup my 4 x NT servers as stratum2 (have 2 x GPS receivers
as Stratum1).

Stratum 1s are peered amongst themselves and Stratum2s are peered with each
other.

I've configured logging on the NT servers.

The log reports that the NT servers are synching nicely - apart from one
which seems to be suffering from excessive frequency errors. Additionally
I've got lots of messages in syslog which seem to record synchronisation
events, but I'm not sure what kind of synchronisation event - it could be
loss of synch or it could be re-synch or perhaps its reporting that one of
the peers has lost synch - I can't tell from the info I have on the syslog
messages.

Can anyone give me any pointers where to find a list of syslog messages and
what they mean?

Thanks.

Neil Whitehead