[ntp:questions] Re: adjtimex

Tue Feb 3 11:40:07 UTC 2004

"Xuehuan Li" <libryant at hotmail.com> writes:

> hello everyone,
>
> i ran ntp on a pc with linux-2.4.20-nano. it works perfect and have no
> warning message. because my target is to run the ntp on an embbed
> processor, i cut the system to a smaller one. now i found the ntp can
> not work well on that small system. while the ntpd runs, it prints the
> warning message like this:
> adjtimex: ntpd could be using obsolete ADJ_TICKADJ.

I'm surprised that ntpd messes with the tick value (ADJ_TICKADJ). As
the message suggests, recompile your binary (=ntpd).

> hardpps: bad pulse, delta = 104267428 ns
> hardpps: PPSJITTER: jitter=104367332, limit=855868

Maybe run the standard jitter test (jitter.c from the NTP sources). If
the clock looks OK, your PPS pulse may be poor.

> the big system and small system use the same kernel and the same lib
> files. i find out these messages are print in the kernel function
> do_adjtimex() of time.c. i just don't know why the same kernel would
> act so difference. anybody can give me an answer? thx.

I suggest either the kernels are different or the application binaries are.

Regards,
Ulrich