[ntp:questions] Re: hardpps error

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Feb 4 00:22:35 UTC 2004

Xuehuan,

I don't know what this display means; it certainly isn't in the code
that leaves here. The ntptime program produces a billboard explicitly
tailored to reveal what the PPS range-gate and frequency-grooming
algorithms find. Offhand, it looks like a really noisy PPS signal. If
you haven't got an oscilliscope, connect a pair of cheap headphones
accross the PPS plug and listen for one (loud) click per second and no
background noise or hum. If you haven't got headphones, any old
(off-hook) telephone will do. Best test instrument in the world.

Dave