[ntp:questions] Re: A utility called "S"?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Jan 1 03:51:54 UTC 2004

Richard,

Brace for a blast from the past. The S package was distributed some
years ago by AT&T (no kidding). It was quite a classy package and
produced wonderful publication documents on Sunses and allegedly
Windows. We used it here for awhile and it might even yet be available,
but real engineers now use Matlab. Every few months or so I make another
small step to overhaul the scripts for Matlab, but that ain't done yet.
Volunteers are always cherished.

I built the statistics files especially friendly to common Unix tools.
The scripts are designed to bun once a week or so and produce summary
reports for usage statistics, general monitoring and fault detection.
There is also a little dormant project designed to watch the statistics
in real time and call a beeper if something goes wrong. The mind
boggles.

Dave