[ntp:questions] Re: A utility called "S"?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Jan 2 18:11:18 UTC 2004

Danny,

You are exactly right about Matlab plots. Actually, earlier Matlab
versions produced better looking publication quality plots, which you
can see in my papers. As reviewer, I scathe authors who don't take the
trouble to jack up the font size to something readable. However, unless
you are very careful, the axes labels and scaling get really ugly. The S
stuff handled that really well.

I know that professional typesetters have become truly rare, and I got
to watch one run an ancient Linotype machine once, but makers of
professional publication software like FrameMaker and Matlab need to
coax some of those guys out of retirement and get their plots and graphs
to scale well and look good in print.

Dave