[ntp:questions] Re: Question about synchronizing client and server clock

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 04:01:10 UTC 2004

Well, you could start by downloading the NTP-4.2.0 distribution from
www.ntp.org and reading the documentation.  There is a Windows port of
the code but I have never built, installed or configured it.  The
Windows Time Service meets my very modest needs.

My own, very limited, experience with NTP suggests that you are going to
encounter great difficulty synchronizing the clocks of two machines to
within one microsecond even if both are located in the same room. One
millisecond is probably attainable without too much effort.

Consider the following scenario:

You have machines A, B, and C.  A is your server B is your client and C
is your NTP server; A and B are both NTP clients.  You have two sites
connected by a Wide Area Network (WAN).  A and C are located at one
site, C is located at the second site, three hundred miles away.

An NTP Client timestamps a request packet and sends it to the server.
The server adds its own timestamp to the packet and returns it.  The
client timestamps the packet again with the time of receipt.  The client
assumes symmetric timing for the request and its return and calculates
how much time to add to or subtract from its own clock.  The transit
times, of course, are almost never exactly symmetrical; all that the
client can be certain of is that the server's timestamp occurred
somewhere between the departure or the request and the return of the
packet from the server and probably somewhere near the middle of that
interval.  The error is, as the Professor says, bounded by the round
trip time for the packet.  It can't be any worse than that, and we can
hope for better.

The client adjusts both the time and the tick rate of its own clock to
bring both closer to the server's time and tick rate.  Over a day or
two, the time and tick rates of the client should converge to match
those of the server.

We aren't done yet, however.  The client's clock is subject to drift
with age, temperature, the phases of the moon and the whims of the
gods.  So the client continues to bounce packets off the server,
correcting it's errors as it goes.  Are your server A and your client, B
going to agree on the time?  They will be close, probably within
milliseconds but agreement within, say, 100 microseconds is unlikely.

Now suppose you equip A and B with good quality GPS timing receivers.
They are still 300 miles apart.  Those GPS receivers will see different
satellites and probably compute slightly different times.
The clocks will be better synchronized with each other but will still
not agree.

Windows is not what I would call a real-time system and its interrupt
latencies will probably affect your results adversely.  If Windows
sometimes needs two microseconds to respond to an interrupt and
sometimes needs three-and-a-half microsends, you have a 1.5usec
uncertainty in your results.

See RFC1305 (www.ntp.org has a link to it) for details of how NTP
works.  Get Windows to timestamp a series of one pulse per second ticks
on  the DCD line of the serial port.   If the 1 PPS signal  is generated
by a GPS receiver, the interval between ticks  should be 1.000000
plus/minus 50 to 100 nsec.  What  interval does  Windows report and how
consistent is it?   Get 50,000 samples and analyze them statistically.
The interval that Windows measures will almost certainly not be 1.000000
seconds.  The important measure is the consistency of the interval
measured by Windows.  That will tell you how accurately Windows can
timestamp events.  Try it while Windows is connected to the LAN;  does
LAN traffic affect the results?

I think you may be in for a very interesting and educational
experience!  If you are a graduate student, you might even get a
Master's thesis out of the project.