[ntp:questions] Re: Make NTP timestamps leap-second-neutral (like GPS time)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jan 7 13:40:04 UTC 2004

hack at watson.ibm.com (Michel Hack) wrote in message news:<61706c80.0401062158.720939a7 at posting.google.com>...
> Proposal:
>  ---------
>
>  Currently, NTP timestamps are defined to represent UTC based on a sliding
>  epoch such that UTC can be derived from seconds-since-epoch using simple
>  Gregorian conversion (where each day has exactly 86400 seconds).
>
>  I propose to redefine NTP to be tied to TAI (International Atomic Time)
>  but referenced to 2000, so that:  NTP(2000) = UTC(2000) = TAI-32 = GPS-13
>  and from now on:  NTP = TAI-32 = GPS-13
>
>  This is a good time to propose such a change.  There have been no leap
>  seconds since July 1999.  I wish I had done so sooner (this here is based
>  on an internal memo I wrote a year ago).
>
> [Snip...]
>
>  Finally, I'm grateful to Markus Kuhn for having written such a thoughtful
>  proposal for Unix to deal with UTC vs TAI, Leap Seconds, and local time
>  zones:  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/c-time
>

> Michel.

Michel,

You need to turn this into an RFC proposal and then argue it out with
Dave Mills who is the real expert in this area. Interoperability between
old and new protocols is essential for NTP to continue to work. In addition
if a proposal is put out I'm sure there are other features that people
might want to add to such a change in the protocol.

Also that reference you included doesn't work. Markus may have changed it.
Is it: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/c/ ?

Danny